Mathematics (from Greek μάθημα máthēma, “knowledge, study, learning”) is the study of topics such as quantity (numbers), structure space and change. There is a range of views among mathematicians and philosophers as to the exact scope and definition of mathematics
Check out some amazing mathematics facts
1. It is believed that Ancient Egyptians used complex mathematics such as algebra, arithmetic and geometry as far back as 3000 BC.
2. A three dimensional parallelogram is called a parallelepiped.
3. What comes after a million, billion and trillion? Why a quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion, octillion and nonillion of course.
4. Cutting a cake into 8 pieces is possible with just 3 slices, can you work out how?
5. An icosagon is a shape with 20 sides.
6. It wasn’t until the 16th century that most mathematical symbols were invented. Before this time math equations were written in words, making it very time consuming.
7. Trigonometry is the study of the relationship between the angles of triangles and their sides.
8. A ‘googolplex’ is the number 1 followed by a googol zeros, this number is so big that it can’t be written because there isn’t enough room in the universe to fit it in! It would also take a length of time far greater than the age of the universe just to write the numbers.
9. The name of the popular search engine ‘Google’ came from a misspelling of the word ‘googol’, which is a very, very large number (the number one followed by one hundred zeros to be exact).
10. The smallest ten prime numbers are: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29.
11. The number Pi (the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle) can’t be expressed as a fraction, this means it is an irrational number. When written as a decimal it never repeats and never ends.
12. Here is Pi written to 50 decimal places: 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510
13. There is something the dead eat but if the living eat it, they die.
14. π=3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164 06286 20899 86280 34825 34211 70679 82148 08651 32823 …
15. A sphere has two sides. However, there are one-sided surfaces.
16. There are shapes of constant width other than the circle. One can even drill square holes.
17. There are just five regular polyhedra
18. In a group of 23 people, at least two have the same birthday with the probability greater than 1/2
19. Everything you can do with a ruler and a compass you can do with the compass alone
20. Among all shapes with the same perimeter a circle has the largest area.
21. There are curves that fill a plane without holes
22. Much as with people, there are irrational, perfect, complex numbers
23. As in philosophy, there are transcendental numbers
24. As in the art, there are imaginary and surreal numbers
25. A straight line has dimension 1, a plane – 2. Fractals have mostly fractional dimension
26. You are wrong if you think Mathematics is not fun
27. Mathematics studies neighborhoods, groups and free groups, rings, ideals, holes, poles and removable poles, trees, growth …
28. Mathematics also studies models, shapes, curves, cardinals, similarity, consistency, completeness, space …
29. If two quantities have a ratio of approximately 1.618, they are said to be in the golden ratio. This ratio has been used throughout history to design aesthetically pleasing art works such as the Parthenon. It also appears in paintings, music, the design of books, and even in nature.
30. A clock never showing right time might be preferable to the one showing right time twice a day
31. Trigonometry aside, Mathematics comprises fields like Game Theory, Braids Theory, Knot Theory and more
32. Among all shapes with the same area circle has the shortest perimeter
33. Some numbers are square, yet others are triangular
34. The next sentence is true but you must not believe it
35. The previous sentence was false
36. 12+3-4+5+67+8+9=100 and there exists at least one other representation of 100 with 9 digits in the right order and math operations in between
37. One can cut a pie into 8 pieces with three movements
38. Program=Algorithms+Data Structures
39. Among objects of mathematical study are heredity, continuity, jumps, infinity, infinitesimals, paradoxes…
40. Last but not the least, Mathematics studies stability, projections and values, values are often absolute but may also be extreme, local or global.
41. One is morally obligated not to do anything impossible