The Pyramids of Giza are truly among the world’s most incredible wonders. Rich with history, steeped in mystery, and structurally miraculous even to this day, they’re unlike any other attractions in the world, and undoubtedly account for a great deal of international tourism to Cairo and the surrounding areas.
The World’s Tallest Building For 3,871 Years
According to one article, the Great Pyramid held the record for world’s tallest structure from a period of 3,871 years. The same article notes that the Lighthouse of Alexandria may have briefly eclipsed the Great Pyramid in 280 BC, but its height is not known for sure, and it didn’t last. So we can safely say that the largest of the Giza pyramids holds a record that will probably never be broken, for longest tenure as the world’s tallest man-made structure.
At different times scientists have suggested that Egyptians used Orion’s Belt as a model for the arrangement, and used the North Star to face the pyramids due north. But both theories have been challenged because we know that the skies didn’t look then as they do now.
New Mysteries Emerging
Just recently, for instance, scientists announced the discovery of a new “void” previously unnoticed within the Great Pyramid!
Withstood A 12th Century Attack
Apparently, at some point in the 1100s, a sultan named Al-Aziz attempted to destroy the pyramids and proved wholly unable to do so. Think about that for a moment: a powerful ruler, theoretically with vast resources at his disposal, determined to demolish structures built thousands of years previously and couldn’t do it.
Built By Paid Workers
The discovery of the remains of workers near the pyramids suggests pyramid workers were paid rather than slaves. Evidently, the level of respect displayed in the style of burial makes it extraordinarily unlikely that these people were in fact oppressed. Those studying the subject now believe firmly that the pyramids were built by people who paid for their efforts.
Emanating with wonder, mystery, and intrigue as to how they were built and for what purpose, Egyptian pyramids are wonderful and mysterious in nature. Here are nine such facts about the Egyptian pyramids that will make you think about these secretive buildings in the world.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza is built with 6 million tons of precisely placed stone, covering about 13.6 acres of land. The foundation being so precise, not a single corner is even a 1/2 inch higher or lower than the others.
- The average height of land above sea level is approximately 5448 inches, which is exactly the height of the pyramid from top to bottom upon it’s creation
- The pyramids are located at the exact centre of the Earth’s landmass (east/west parallel, and north/south meridian).
- It is impossible for humans in today’s day in age to replicate the building of the pyramids with technology.
- The pyramid shape in sacred geometry principles indicates healing light and spiritual energies.
- The three pyramids of Giza are in line with the Constellation of Orion. Such clear-cut, mathematical precision would be extremely difficult to accomplish without the use of high-quality telescopes.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza is made of about 2,300,000 stone blocks, each weighing anywhere between 2 and 30 (even 50) tons!
- Moving such immense objects back in the age of simple hand tools to chisel stone and horse-drawn chariots for transportation suggests something else may have been at play.
- The pyramids have lasted so long and remained so well-preserved due to the unique mortar used, which is stronger than its actual stone. However, scientists are currently unable to determine exactly what it was made from.
- They were once covered in a casing made entirely of highly polished white limestone. This would have reflected the sun’s light and made the pyramids shine like bright jewels.