We’re all familiar with sports. In India, we mostly hear and watch our favourite sports, such as cricket, badminton, football, and tennis. But how well do we know the players, particularly the Indian sportswomen? Not everyone is familiar with major sporting events and the well-known personalities who have contributed to our country’s good name and fame. Female sports personalities in India, in particular, are under-recognized, under-appreciated, and under-appreciated.
But don’t worry, we’re here to tell you about all of the famous Indian sportswomen you should know about. Previously, Indian sportswomen were mostly interested in badminton, tennis, and chess. However, given the welcome change, we now have them in boxing, wrestling, archery, gymnastics, squash, as well as cricket, and hockey.
Yes, this is true, and India’s famous sportswomen are spread across several games, receiving widespread recognition in the international arena and bringing a good name to our country. However, it is unfortunate that we do not know the majority of these Indian sports girls. Continue reading to learn more about these well-known Indian sportswomen right now.
List of 15 Indian SportsWomen: (Know About Their Facts and Details)
Indian sportswomen are frequently unknown and underappreciated. As a result, here are the top 15 successful Indian sportswomen you should know about.
Mary Kom :
Fortunately, most of us are familiar with Indian Olympian fighter Mary Kom, who is well-known in the boxing world for a number of her accomplishments. She has achieved worldwide acclaim as a result of her athletic achievements and skill. Mary Kom is now the only woman in boxing history to have won a medal in each of the seven world boxing championships. She was just elected to the Rajya Sabha. She continues to compete and earn medals for India, making us proud in the world boxing community. Please tell us more about her.
- Mary Kom full name is Chungneijang Mary Kom Hmangte.
- Tonpa Kom is the director/operator.
- Boxing is the name of the sport.
- Height and weight: 5’2″ and 54 kg, respectively.
- Date of Birth: March 1, 1983 (36 years).
- Kangathei, Manipur is the location.
- Achievements: The only woman to have won the World Amateur Boxing Championship six times.
- Awards: Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, and Arjuna Award for Boxing are among the honours bestowed upon her.
Mithali Raj :
Mithali Raj, an Indian cricketer, is seen here. While cricket is generally considered a men’s sport in India, Indian cricketer Mithali Raj has completely changed the game and become well-known as an international women’s cricket player. She is also the current captain of the Indian women’s cricket team in both tests and ODIs. She is widely considered one of the best female cricketers in the world. While India has not had excellent women’s cricket in recent years, she has stepped into the spotlight and made India proud by joining women’s cricket. She stated that she would retire from cricket in September 2019.
- Mithali Dorai Raj is her full name.
- Dorai Raj is the D/O.
- Cricket is the name of the game.
- Height and weight: 5’4″ and 54 kg, respectively.
- Date of Birth: December 3, 1982 (36 years).
- Jodhpur, Rajasthan is the location.
- Achievements: Only Indian women cricketers to perform well in the ICC, leading to Asia Cup titles in 2006 and 2008, the best individual score by an Indian women cricketer in a World Cup match in 2005, and the maximum number of ODIs for the Indian squad.
- Awards: Padma Shri, Arjuna Award for cricket.
Also Read: Top 10 Highest Paid Bollywood Actress 2022
Humpy Koneru :
Koneru Humpy, a well-known Indian chess player, has arrived. The Indian chess grandmaster has been in the spotlight for over a decade and continues to earn game-winning slams and accolades for India. While chess was not a very exciting game, Humpy joined the fray and made India proud. She surpassed the 2600 Elo rating level, becoming the world’s second woman after Judit Polgar. The Indian chess grandmaster has lately returned to her game and has begun to concentrate on her game as Asia’s youngest female Grand Master.
- Humpy Koneru is his full name.
- Koneru Ashok is the designer.
- Chess is the name of the game.
- Height and weight: 5’8″ and 55 kg, respectively.
- Date of Birth: March 31, 1987 (32 years old).
- Location: Gudivada, Andhra Pradesh
- Achievements: Asia’s youngest grandmaster in 1999, she was the second woman in the world to have an ELO rating higher than 2600.
- Arjuna Award for Chess, Padma Shri, and Youngest Grandmaster are among the honours bestowed upon him.
Sania Mirza is a well-known celebrity who came to prominence over a decade ago. Sania has become the queen of tennis in India over the past decade and continues to steal our hearts with her skill, as well as being one of the most attractive Indian sports ladies. She is a professional Indian tennis player as well as a former world number one in her sport. She is the only person in India to have won six major slams. She is also India’s number-one tennis player in both singles and doubles, according to the WTA. In 2013, she announced her retirement from the game. She is still respected for her skill and is regarded as one of the world’s best tennis players.
- Sania Mirza is her full name.
- D/O: Imran Mirza.
- Tennis is the name of the sport.
- 1.73m and 58 kgs are his height and weight.
- Date of Birth: November 15, 1986 (32 years).
- Mumbai, India is the location.
- Achievements: Former ranked number one with Martina Hingis, Won French Open and Mixed Women Doubles in 2015, Won 2012 French Open Mixed Doubles with Mahesh Bhupati, Won 2010 International Open in China, First grand slam in 2009 with doubles (Mahesh Bhupati), Runner-up at Asia’s Tennis Championship, Silver in Women’s Singles at the 2006 Doha Asian Games.
- Awards: Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna are among the honours bestowed upon him.
Geeta Phogat is a relatively new name and celebrity. She is a professional freestyle wrestler who won the first-ever gold medal in the wrestling discipline at the 2010 Common Wealth Games. Except for her, no Indian woman wrestler has ever qualified for the Olympic summer games. She has defied several preconceptions connected with women’s wrestling. She has succeeded in her sport and continues to be a renowned and recognized wrestler all over the world. Here is some more information about her.
- Geeta Phogat is her full name.
- D/O: Mahavir Singh Phogat.
- Wrestling is the name of the sport.
- 1.62 m and 62 kgs are his height and weight.
- Date of Birth: December 15, 1988 (30 years).
- Place: Bhiwani, Haryana.
- Achievements: First gold medal in the Common Wealth Games in 2010, bronze in the 2012 World Championships, gold in the 2019 Commonwealth Championships, and gold in the Commonwealth Championships in 2013.
- Arjuna Award
Sindhu P V :
We all know this name and renowned personality P V Sindhu(1) (1). She is now a professional and well-known Indian badminton player. She came to prominence after being the first Indian woman to win an Olympic medal. Her coach, Gopi Chand, who is also an Olympic and professional badminton player, has taught her and continues to encourage her game as a coach. She is well-known across the world’s badminton community. She has also won the Summer Olympics and is regarded as one of the greatest badminton players in the world. She is still on top of her game, winning numerous medals for India and making her nation proud.
- Full name is Pusarla Venkata Sindhu.
- PV Ramana is the director/operator.
- Badminton is the name of the game.
- 1.79 m and 65 kgs are his height and weight.
- 5 July 1995 is my birthday (24 years).
- Hyderabad, India is the location.
- Achievements include being included in the Forbes Under 30 Asia List in 2019, winning gold at the World Championships in 2019, and taking silver at the Commonwealth Games in 2018. She was formerly ranked second in the world.
- Arjuna Award, Padma Shri, and Rajiv Khel Ratna are among the honors bestowed upon him.
Sakshi Malik is a freestyle wrestler from India. She rose to prominence after winning bronze in the 2016 Summer Olympics. And she is now the first Indian female wrestler to win Olympic gold. She has continued to improve her game and is working hard to capture gold in the next Olympics. Although many of us haven’t heard of her, she wants to stay out of the spotlight and concentrate on her game above everything else. While India had a dry period at the Olympics, it was she who ended it with medals for the country.
- Sakshi Malik is her full name.
- Sukhbir Malik is the director.
- Wrestling is the name of the sport.
- Height and weight: 1.6m and 64 kg, respectively.
- Date of Birth: September 3rd, 1992 (26 years).
- Rohtak is the location.
- Achievements: Bronze in 2015 Asian Wrestling Championship, First female in India to win Bronze in Olympics.
- Padma Shri and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna are among the honors bestowed upon him.
Many of us have never heard of Harika Dronavalli in the chess world. Unfortunately, we haven’t yet come across such tremendous talent in the spotlight, but Harika has been racing in Chess tournaments all around the world without a break. She is an Indian chess grandmaster who has won three bronze medals for India in women’s global chess tournaments across the globe. She has a FIDE title and has remained active in the game. Her game never gets old or boring since she has won many championships and tournaments. Unfortunately, chess champions are still not widely recognized.
- Harika Dronavalli is her full name.
- Ramesh is the D/O.
- Chess is the name of the game.
- Height and weight: 5.5″ and 65 kg, respectively.
- Date of Birth: January 12, 1991 (28 years).
- Guntur, Andhra Pradesh is the location.
- Awards: Bronze in the World Chess Championship in 2017, World Women’s Chess Championship in 2012, and Gold in the Commonwealth Women’s Chess Championship in 2010.
- Arjuna Award, Grandmaster, and Padma Shri are among the honours bestowed upon him.
Rani Rampal :
Rani Rampal is another name on the list of Indian sportswomen we’ve never heard of. How many of us have heard of her and appreciated her? She is an Indian field hockey player who was also the youngest member of the Indian national squad at the 2010 World Cup. She was 15 years old when she competed, and she is still quite good at her sport. While little is known about her low-key personality, Rani Rampal is still on the rise and has no intention of slowing down in her pursuit of accolades and making our nation proud.
- Rani Rampal is her full name.
- Rampal is the designer.
- Hockey is the name of the sport.
- 1.65 m and 60 kgs are his height and weight.
- Date of Birth: December 4th, 1994 (24 years).
- Location: Shahbaad Markanda, Haryana
- Achievements: Olympic gold medalist in field hockey in 2018.
- Young Women’s Player of India Award
Hima Das :
Hima Das has been in the headlines a lot this year and right now because of the number of medals she has earned and continues to win as a sprint runner. She is from Assam and is known as Dhing Express because of her quick pace and speed. She has shattered the record of earning four medals in fifteen days this year. Hima Das is well-known for her sporting achievements, which have brought fame to India and made us proud. She has significantly improved her time and is excelling in the sport. She is still quite young and has a long way to go.
- Hima Das is her full name.
- Designed by Ranjit Das.
- Sprint Runner is the name of the game.
- 1.67 m and 52 kgs are his height and weight.
- Date of Birth: January 9th, 2000 (19 years).
- Dhing, Assam is the location.
- Achievements: Gold medal in the Asian Games, silver medal in the Asian Games Mixed 2018, gold medal in the U 20 Championships 2019.
- Arjuna Award
Dipa Karmakar :
Dipa Karmakar rose to prominence at the 2016 Olympics. She is an Indian gymnast who earned a bronze medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. She has created history by being the first Indian female gymnast to accomplish so in the history of the sport. Recently she also won gold in the Gymnasts World Cup. She has put in a lot of practice time and is improving her game without slowing down. She said she still has a long way to go and hopes to earn a gold medal for India soon.
- Dipa Karmakar is her full name.
- Dulal Karmakar is the designer.
- The gymnast is the name of the game.
- Height and weight: 1.5 m and 47 kg, respectively.
- Date of Birth: August 9th, 1993 (25 years).
- Agartala, Tripura is the location.
- Achievements: Gold in the Gymnasts World Cup, Bronze in the Commonwealth Games in 2014, and Bronze in the Asian Championships in 2015.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award, and Padma Shri are among the honours bestowed upon him.
Deepika Kumari :
Deepika Kumari’s name is not widely recognized, but this well-known personality has reached new heights in the globe for her archery skill. However, most of us have no idea how she becomes the world’s number one in archery. Deepika won the gold medal in the 2010 Common Wealth Games and is now rated fifth in the world. She is now in the headlines after winning silver in a test event at the Tokyo Olympics. She wants to be world number one again and win gold at the next Olympics.
- Deepika Kumari is her full name.
- Shivnarayan Mahato is the designer.
- Archery is the name of the game.
- 1.61 m and 56 kgs are his height and weight.
- Date of Birth: June 13, 1994 (25 years).
- Ranchi is the location.
- Achievements: Silver in the 2015 Women’s World Team Championships, Silver in the 2011 Women’s World Team Championships, Gold in 2012, 2013, and 2018 World Cups, and Gold in the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- Padma Shri and the Arjuna Award for Archery are among the honours bestowed upon him.
Manika Batra :
This is another name we haven’t heard much about, yet it’s just risen to prominence at such a young age. Manika Batra is an Indian table tennis player who is currently ranked 47th in the world. She captured our hearts with her outstanding performance in the 2018 Common Wealth games. She rose to become one of India’s top-ranked female table tennis players. She is, however, still growing and is focused on the next Olympics. She also won a gold medal in the Gold Coast Games. Here are some more facts about this Indian female athlete.
- Manika Batra is her full name.
- Girish Batra is the director/operator.
- Table Tennis is the name of the game.
- Height and weight: 1.8m and 63 kg, respectively.
- Date of Birth: June 15, 1995 (24 years).
- Delhi, India is the location.
- Achievements: Top-ranked table tennis player, bronze medalist in the mixed category at the 2018 Asian Games, the first woman to win individual gold in table tennis at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, gold medalist in the mixed and women’s doubles at the 2016 South Asian Games.
- Table Tennis received the Arjuna Award.
Deepika Pallikal :
Deepika Pallikal Kartik is a squash player from India. While many of us have never heard of the squash game in India, she rose to prominence and made her imprint on the sport. She is the first Indian woman to enter the top 10 of the PSA global rankings. She was at her career-high in the world’s 13th position until she broke up with 10 seconds to go. In 2015, She married cricketer, Dinesh Kartik. She is still advancing in her profession, striving for the highest place in the globe, and consistently improving her game. More information about her as one of the outstanding Indian women in sports can be found here.
- Full name is Deepika Pallikal Kartik.
- Sanjiv Pallikal is the director.
- Squash is the name of the game.
- Height and weight: 1.71 m and 55 kg, respectively.
- Date of Birth: September 21, 1991 (27 years).
- Chennai, India is the location.
- Achievements: World 10 ranking, bronze in the 2018 Asian Games singles, silver in the 2014 Asian Games (Women Team), bronze in the 2014 Asian Games (Women Singles), silver in the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games (Mixed), silver in the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games (Women Doubles), gold in the 2014 Commonwealth Games (Women doubles).
- Padma Shri and Arjuna Awards
Here is a comprehensive list of notable sportswomen in India. These are some well-known Indian sportswomen who have reached tremendous heights and received many accolades in their respective sports. However, due to the lack of attention to them, we are unfamiliar with several of the names on this list. I hope this guide on female sports celebrities in India has helped you learn about notable Indians and their accomplishments. Also, please let us know what you think of these players; we’d love to hear from you!
Also, Check This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6arbOsPpsxY