Varanasi (Banaras) is said to be The Oldest Living City Of The World, it is the chief center of civilization for more than 3000 years. It is said that the person who takes his last breath in Banaras, attain salvation for sure. City is also considered as “Mahashamshana” or “the great cremation ground”; dead bodies are brought here from far off places for cremation in “Manikarnikaa Ghat”.
Some More Interesting Facts Of Banaras :-
- Banaras is birth place of twenty third “Tirthankara, Parsvanath”.
- Banaras is the only place in the whole world which has got 84 ghats, and it also has highest number of river banks in the world.
- Banaras Hindu University is one of the biggest universities in the world offering studies in Hindu scriptures.
- Here marriage of Frog is carried out with much pomp and show. Hundreds of people gather at Ashwamegh Ghat every year to see the interesting frog marriage carried out by Hindu priest.
- Varanasi is also the birthplace to world renowned artists like Pandit Ravi Shankar and Ustad Bismillah Khan.
- Thousands of tourists come here every year and hundreds of them make this place their home, such is the richness of this pious Land!
- It is also famous for its five day musical drupad festival held at Tulsi Ghat and Ganga Mahotsav festival held in November.
- One of the most famous temple of lord Shiva Kashi Vishvanath Temple is situated here. The temple has been referred to in Hindu scriptures for a very long time as a central part of worship in the Shaiva philosophy.